Five testimonies from North Koreans who have received Bibles during this time of Coronavirus
It’s hard to lock down an underground church. Not even authorities hostile to the gospel plus a virus can accomplish that.
Here are five testimonies from North Koreans who have received audio Bibles and ministry packs from our underground field team members during the time of Coronavirus. None of the recipients were previously Christian. None are defectors; in fact, none plan to defect. (VOMK never aids nor encourages defection.) In every case (as is always true with VOMK), distribution is done person-to-person, rather than through some kind of system of mass distribution.
What I find most moving in these testimonies from current NK citizens are the raw expressions of prayer and devotion from them as new believers in Christ. Their only discipleship has been listening to the Bible, and yet in many ways they already understand more than others whose discipleship happens through humans with specially designed curriculum. #4, below, is the perfect example of that. This new North Korean Christian writes, “It looks like everything in my life is transforming into a new creation!”
May these testimonies refresh you and remind all of us that God never slumbers nor sleeps, not even during the time of Coronavirus.
- “Who can send his only son to save other people? For mere human beings, this is a very difficult concept that God sent his only Son Jesus to save us. I have finally found the amazing news. I have been educated and thought it was accidental and natural that the earth began to form and that monkeys became humans. As I was listening to the audio Bible, I have received this amazing news that God has saved the world through his suffering. God please forgive us, human beings, who distressed you. We will give our lives in return for God’s passionate love.”
- “When I had lived a comfortable, happy life, I was not able to fully grasp the full heart of God the Father. But, I have finally come to understand his heart through suffering and hardship. Dear God, please give your comfort to our hearts. We are truly thankful for your grace and love through this gift [ministry pack and audio Bible]. Our heart to trust, rely on, and follow you will never change.”
- “We have come to [worksite name omitted] where we are [work type omitted]. We are locked up all day here. We cannot even go out. We have met good leaders here that have given us audio Bibles. When we were given [the audio Bibles], we were earnestly requested to listen to it secretly only at nighttime in order to avoid the eyes of our state security comrades. We are encouraged to work throughout difficult nights as we are listening to the stories and songs. Thank you for giving [the ministry packs]. We are in an area where there is nothing to see or hear. We are sending our gratitude on behalf of all NKs in my group. We will keep these precious gifts for sure.”
- “Who could send God’s words to such people like us? We are writing letters to good people of God who risk their lives to send us this audio Bible. The first word that is penetrating my heart is that Jesus came down to earth to be crucified and resurrected and ascended and now is in heaven. I have come to have this question: What would our lives be without the presence of God? It looks like everything in my life is transforming into a new creation. Thank you for those who are sending the ‘new world’.”
- “We give thanks to those who are sending God’s love in this pandemic. We are also thankful for all gifts [ministry packs]. Thank you for awakening us and understanding our situation. Every time we listen to the stories, we feel peaceful and too good.”